We got tired shortly after midnight so we pulled into a rest area and took an hour snooze. ( if you can call sitting up snoozing.........I think that Ron can sleep anywhere!) We arrived at the Eagle Creek Trailhead around 3:15 AM, filled out a Recreational Pass and parked the truck. I stretched out in the backseat of the truck and Ron stretched out in the front. We slept for a total of an hour and a half. It started to get light around 5:00 AM, so we rousted ourselves, ate a bowl of Shredded Wheat, put on our hiking boots, strapped on our camera bags and started up the trail.
When Ron has a goal in mind, nothing else matters! Today's goal was to get into Punchbowl Falls QUICK, take some photos before it either started to rain or the sun came out. The last time I hiked this trail was over a year ago .........and this year I was definitely out of shape. All the uphill grades seemed a lot steeper for some reason......it can't be because I'm getting older....can it? Anyway, Ron leisurely hiked into the falls and I panted to keep up.
Ron finally left me in the dust about the last quarter of mile, as he was getting anxious to get started. As I finally made it down the last steep incline to the creek, Ron already had his camera set up ready to go and had his water shoes on ready to wade out into the icy cold water. When I say ICY COLD, that is an understatement! Eagle Creek is basically snow runoff, so saying it was really cold, doesn't quite accurately describe it. Biting, stinging, numbing cold, would be a bit more descriptive.
You might be asking, "Why in the world would anyone wade out into an icy cold river to take a photo?" The answer is very simple: YOU CAN'T SEE THE FALLS IF YOU DON'T GET OUT INTO THE MIDDLE OF THE CREEK. The water seemed extra cold this year though. Ron wanted to try several different shots from different angles and with different lenses. He was in the creek over an HOUR......he finally came back to shore with his teeth chattering. Most of the time he was at least mid-thigh deep or deeper. I had to wade out to get the photos of him, taking the photos......but I only stayed in that icy water and long as necessary! I found some rocks that someone had built out into the creek so I was only ankle deep most of the time.
If you haven't seen this pristine area, it's difficult to describe. The spring green is breathtaking! The lush ferns and wildflowers are everywhere, and there are dozens of waterfalls on this trail. If you stay on the trail, you can only see Punchbowl Falls from above it.......but to get this classic shot, you have to descend down to the creek and wade out in the water. A lot of hikers will come down to the creek, but do not see the waterfall because they don't know you have to wade to the middle of the creek to see the falls. They just don't know what they are missing! This particular waterfall is one of our favorites.....it is located in a 'bowl' shaped rock enclosure, that almost feels like a cathedral with it's high moss and fern covered walls.
By 9:00 AM, we were frozen and we felt a sprinkle of rain, so we decided to dry off and start our hike back out. (I don't think that hiking downhill is any easier.....especially on the knees.) We met only two other couples on our way out who were on the trail, which is unusual.....it is a very popular hiking trail and most of the time has lots of hikers. By the time we got back to the truck, we were both pretty tired. We drove back to Troutdale (just outside of Portland, Oregon) and got some breakfast, then started our drive north, to home.




3 comments:
We made it up that trail in record time once. The phone had rung and we couldn't get a signal to call back. We had left our youngest child home alone and were headed to Utah to see other children and parents. We were concerned that something might be wrong at home....
I'm normally a dawdling hiker - I like to see the sunlight and shadows and small details of nature. However, when worried about that lonely child at home I can hustle.
Both times we have been on that trail have been later in the season when the run off has slowed.
Then you can see the falls without wading. It is a magical place though.
I'm going to read your text tomorrow because I'm not feeling great tongiht, but I did just want to say really quick that your pictures are beautiful!
I finally got to ready our text. You two are so adventurous! like teenagers. :) It is cute how excited Dad gets about his camera. I think it is great and you both always take such beautiful pictures. Maybe we can come sometime! (when I'm not pregnant).
Post a Comment