Monday, October 18, 2010

Hiking around Bowman Bay

Saturday was too beautiful of a day to sit around indoors, so Ron and I decided to hike around Bowman Bay, near Deception Pass. Ron wanted to scout around for a place where we could come and get an early morning shot of the bridge.....hopefully with a little morning fog in the photo. Bowman Bay is one of our favorite places to go.....it's never very busy, and there is a beautiful beach, wonderful dock and a protected bay to kayak in.

The trail around the bay is quite steep in places.......I wished that I would have worn my hiking boots. The trail goes all the way around the point and then ends up with a view of Deception Pass bridge. We also hiked out to an outer pennisula, which gives you a clear view of the bridge, but Ron liked the closer view better.

The trail is a bit narrow in a couple of spots, and straight down to the rocks below.....but the view is fantastic!

It looks the park service is going to install a wire fence at this point of the trail......where it is straight down to the rocky beach. It will make it a lot safer.

The seagrass that grows along the trail that parallels the beach, is really beautiful.


A view of Deception Pass Bridge from the outer pennisula.

Enjoying the sun along the beach trail.

Ron hiked down from the highway, and found the place that he wants to go back to, to get the shot he was looking for. It was straight down this cliff from the highway.....but we can actually access the same place hiking the trail from Bowman Bay, which will be a lot easier when we're carrying photography equipment. Now we just need to wait for the right day to go back.


The amount of water that passes through this channel is incredible.....and it moves extremely fast. I've seen boats that have their engines at full throttle and can just keep their boat in one spot......they don't make any progress.....their boat is going one direction as fast as the tide is going another. You don't want to go through the pass when the tide is changing. High tide is the best, or low tide as well. But when the tide is moving through here, the undercurrents create huge swirling whirlpools and can really throw a boat. (I speak from experience!) The first time Ron and I ever saw Deception Pass, our jaws dropped because it was so beautiful. It still is.....just 20 times more traffic over the bridge. Keep your fingers crossed that we can get a great shot with fog, this falll.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

I have always loved the turquoise color of the water there at Deception Pass, and watching the whirlpools. One of my favorite memories from my childhood is all of our trips there. :)

Emmy Southworth said...

Bowman Bay is my favorite memory of Washington. Ron's photo will be great. I always love hearing about his hunt for the right time, lighting, and place.