Tuesday, December 25, 2012

November: A week with two special little boys

A lot has been ocurring these past few weeks.....some good....some bad. I'm trying to look at the glass as half full, and not half empty. It helps me to realize all the blessings that I really do have.

Ron and I were able to have Preston and Taylor come and stay with us, for about 8 days this month, while Jenni and Will went down to Los Angeles for some music events that Jenni attended.  So it was "Play Time" around our house.

 
Both of the boys were so good.  They slept good and played hard.  The only thing that we had a bit of a hard time with, was trying to figure out what they would eat.   Hmmm....picky eaters. So we ate a lot of yogurt and chicken nuggets.....oh yes, and cookies.  (Taylor has one in each hand.) 
 
 
Preston is starting to outgrow the little racetrack that we have, but Taylor is just getting old enough to start to have fun with it. 

 
Taylor, cookie in hand, next to some colorful toys that Jennifer Flake brought over for them to play with.  I teach violin and piano and Wednesday and Thursday afternoons, (from 1:00 pm - 7:00 pm) and if Ron is not home, it's impossible to keep an eye on the boys.  So I asked Jennifer Flake to come and play with them while I taught music lesson.  She was a life saver!

 
Wow, I actually got Preston to smile for the camera!

 
Hmmmm.....Taylor with another cookie in hand.

 
Ron had a lot of fun playing with the boys.....I think that he's still a kid at heart.

 
Jennifer Flake and Taylor.  Taylor thought that Jennifer was pretty cool.

 
Preston, Jennifer and Taylor all seated on the couch, ready to watch a movie.

 
Preston discovered that grandma had a book all about the "Cars" movie.  We would read several stories from it every day.  He wouldn't go to bed until we had read a couple of stories before crawling under the covers.  He packed that book around everywhere.

 
Every morning Taylor would go downstairs and find grandpa sitting in his favorite leather chair, and the crawl up on his lap.  He was fascinated with grandpa's electric shaver. Ron would let him hold it, and soon he discovered how to turn it on and off.  Then it wasn't long before he put the razor up to his face and tried to "shave" just like grandpa. 


 
The boys love going to the store....any store.  But the especially like Costco with all the tasting tables.  We loaded them into a basket and then proceeded to pile the food on top of them.  Preston wanted to buy half of the toys in the store, and was not too happy with us, when we told him that we couldn't do that.


 
Sunday morning, grandpa left early to go to the Stake Center, so I made sure that I got up early and got ready before I woke the boys up.  We were all ready for church 45 minutes early!!


 
In our garage, Ron has all of the exercise equipment that we used to have in BodyWorks downtown.  We have a rubber mat on the floor which keeps the chill out of the room, so the boys love to play there.  They would run, and jump and laugh and climb all over the gym equipment, and had a great time.  It was too cold to go outside, and raining most of the time anyway, so we had a "beach party" in the garage.....sand buckets and all.
 
 
Taylor pretended that the smaller Vortex machine was a train.....he made of these "chugging" sounds and "toots" like the train whistles.....pretty cute.

 
"See grandma, I'm driving the train!"  Don't you just love a child's imagination?

 
They found the orange cones that Ron uses in the gym for his clients, and discovered that they make perfect "Party Hats". 

 
Preston discovered a little Tea Set that I have sitting on the little table in our bedroom, and thought that would be the perfect thing for a "Tea Party."  I told him that we don't drink tea, but we could pretend it was Hot Chocolate.  (He picked up the Tea Party lingo from the tv show "Thomas the Train".....the station master always take a tea break.)

 
Taylor and Preston at the Tea/Hot Chocolate Part.  Notice the pens they are using to "stir" the "tea." 

 
Ron and I were pretty tired by the end of 8 days.  It's been a while since we had young children of our own.....you have to keep on top of everything all the time.  No rest for the weary., as the saying goes.  But we woudln't trade this time with them for anything.  However, I think that the day after then went home, Ron and I crashed and didn't do much of anything.  Being a grandparent is great!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Wow look at Preston's scowl on his face at Costco! Haha! What a little stinker! Thanks for taking such good care of them - they sure love you guys!!