Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Next Horizon

Several year ago I wrote a piece for the piano for our oldest son Michael as he was preparing to leave for his first semester of college at BYU.  I had jotted down some notes when I was writing the song, and  came across them again last night.  I felt that this would be a good time to share them.

Horizon
 
"You are standing at a new threshold of your life, with a new horizon in view.  Sometimes the unknown can be a little frightening, a little uncertain, but those challenges can also be exciting and very rewarding.  One of the most inspiring things about life is that we can choose our horizons and make each one better, so there is alway hope for a better future."

I found those words that I had written so many years ago, to be very in sync with my feelings today.  There can always be hope for a better future.  Recently I taught a Sunday School class and our topic was Faith, Hope and Charity......and of course the teacher always learns more than the students.  I've discovered that Faith, Hope and Charity are one Eternal Round.  Through Faith in Jesus Christ, one gains Hope for Eternal Life, and by living in accordance with gospel principles we can gain the attributes of Charity, which in turn bring us greater Faith.....and so on.

The situation in our great nation right now is very disturbing to me, and yes even quite discouraging.  But as I contemplate the words that I wrote so many years ago, it reminds me that I can still control where my horizons will take me and what my future will look like.  I still choose. 

I am so grateful for the gift of agency and for the knowledge and peace that the gospel of Jesus Christ brings me.  It is my prayer that each one of us may have happy, healthy and uplifting horizons.  Even though those horizons will have challenges and trials, our attitude during those trials will have a great affect on our destination. 

Onward, to New Horizons.............

No comments: