Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Palouse

This weekend Ron and I drove down to Pendleton and spent several days with my mom. Not only was it Mother's Day, but it was also our 36th Wedding Anniversary, so we thought that a nice photography trip was in order. Here are some of the photos that we took of the Palouse. (from Pendleton north, almost to Spokane and into Idaho: it is a major wheat growing area. It has been affectionately termed "America's Tuscany", because of the rich patchwork of texture and color)




Velvet green wheat fields just a few miles north of Walla Walla.

Ron, trying to get the perfect shot.



My mother, Thelma Lindsay, is always up for an adventure. Our Camry thought it was a 4-wheel drive, as we spun our way to the top of the fallow field.


Some of the beautiful farmland, at the foot of the Blue Mountains.


I couldn't resist taking a photo of this leaning barn. It makes you wonder how much longer it is going to stay in an upright position.



The velvet rolling hills of the Palouse go for as far as the eye can see. It encompasses over 3,000 square miles. You can drive for miles on the back roads and never meet another car. It was wonderful!

We had a picture perfect day; blue skies, puffy white clouds and endless green rolling hills.

Ron got up very early one morning and drove out into the fields, to get these photos of some hot air balloons. There were dozens of the balloons gathered for a festival. He had to drive down the road, jump out of the car and race to get the balloon in just the right position for this shot.

Letting the hot air out of the balloon, after landing.

Local vineyards, with the soft hills of the Palouse in the near distance.

Patchwork of color and texture.


Early morning, and the setting moon over a field of canola, near Adams, Oregon.

Just me, having a great time with Ron and my mom, taking photos. This is truly one of the most beautiful places there is on the planet! What amazes me, is that I grew up in Pendleton, and have never driven through the hills of the Palouse like we did this weekend. We are ready to go back and hunt for the perfect shot! Want to come along?

4 comments:

Emmy Southworth said...

Driving up a few weeks ago, Idaho and Oregon really reminded me of Scotland. The rolling fields were just missing rock fences. Wish I could come along (and had a nice camera, too).

Jenni said...

Wow those were pretty pictures. I like the one with the road in the picture, and I like the moon one too. I like the Mom one as well :)

Happy wedding anniversary and mothers day!

Will Thomas said...

beautiful! I like the one with the vineyard. We'll come along on your next photo excursion!!!

Dan and Liz Leonard Family said...

These are spectacular! Thanks for sharing. I think I better take Dan for a drive! This is practically our back yard! What a gift you two have with your amazing photography!

Liz