It would be difficult to describe my dad in just a few words, but words like "fun", "dedicated", "photographic memory", "a driver", "Temple worker and sealer", "very smart", "gospel scholar", and a "teaser" are just a few. He was 5'6" in height and hated being so short. If you look in his scriptures, you will find them all marked up with writings in the margins. In his study notes, he writes that we will all be resurrected the same stature as when we lived in mortality: he's written "Darn!" in the margins. His height may have not been tall, but his character, intellect and personality were "giants". At one time during the dedication of the Seattle Temple, President Spencer W. Kimball (who is exactly the same height) shook my dad's hand and commented "Boy, it's sure nice to be able to shake someone's hand and be able to look them straight in the eye!" I think after that, dad didn't feel so bad about his height.
Derrell Lindsay was born the eldest of seven children; Derrell, Ronald, Mary, David, Edwin, Vern and George, to Bertha and Lionel Lindsay, in LaGrande, Oregon. The family moved to Salt Lake City, Utah for a short time, where he was baptized in the basement of the Salt Lake Tabernacle. My grandparents Bertha and Lionel Lindsay, taught their children the gospel, and how to conduct their lives with integrity and honor. Upon the death of my great grandfather Alexander Lindsay, the family moved back to LaGrande, so my grandfather could run the ranch that he inherited.
The ranch was near Ladd Canyon in the Grand Ronde Valley, where the wind would blow all the time. During the winter, my grandpa would put a harness on Bruce, their St. Bernard dog, and Bruce would pull the kids home from school, on a sled. My dad has told me many stories about Bruce, and what a wonderful dog he was.
Dad said that he never studied too much in High School, as he liked to have too much fun. He was also on the wrestling team and was very good. Growing up on a ranch had it's moments as well. I quote from dad's auto biography: "It was here, (the old homestead ranch) that I learned obedience. One day upon going to work, Dad said "Don't ride the calves." As you might guess, when we got our work done, Ron and I decided to do just that. I wasn't satisfied with riding frontwards, but I had to try it backwards. We had some dutch doors on the calf shed. The wind was blowing and blew the bottom half open. Well, you know where the calf headed. Of course the top half, for some reason, kept me from going into the shed. I was hurting so bad, that Dad didn't whack me for that one."
High School Graduation Photo
Again from my dad's auto biography; "I glad that we were raised on a ranch, because we really learned how to work. The Lindsay boys had such a reputation that we could get a job anywhere and get top wages. Dad taught us to be honest. He would say "Tell the truth, and then you don't have to remember what you said." I love to read about and hear the stories of their growing up on the ranch.......it makes me so grateful for the heritage that I have.
When dad was 19 years old, he was called on a mission to Australia for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. World Ward II broke out, so all the missionaries were called home, and he finished his mission in Texas/Louisiana. He was a hard worker, and had a photographic memory. He would just read something once, and then be able to quote it. (Unfortunately, I did not inherit that gift.) This mission established the foundation for the rest of his life. "I left home an inexperienced farm boy, and came back a servant of the Lord."
Missionary photo - 19 years old
Feeding a kangaroo in Australia
Dad met my mom his last quarter at BYU. They were married in the Salt Lake Temple on December 16, 1948. In 1950 they moved back to Oregon, in preparation for dad to enter Dental School. He graduated from the University of Oregon Dental School in June 1955. (I was born on April 28, 1952.....the night before one of his finals.....he tells me that I kept him up all night and he couldn't study......)
Snowed in for their Honeymoon, at the Ladd Canyon Ranch, December 1948
Outside the Portland Temple, after performing Jenni's wedding, March 2005
He had most of his right lung removed at the age of 37 because of Bronchiectsis. That didn't stop him from doing things out of doors and having fun. He has hiked, water skiied, gone snowmobiling, fishing, split wood and hunted for as long as I can remember. It has only been the last few years that I have really noticed him having a hard time getting air. His hair turned white within two years....in his early 40's. He was Bishop at the time. Hmmmmm....does that say anything about the stress and responsiblity of the calling of Bishop?
Playing with Jenni on a camping trip
On a boating trip to Lake Powell, when Stephen was almost 1 year
Helping Michael on the bucking horse
Grandpa's can play with cows too!

At the Salt Lake Temple right after performing Stephen and Ileana's sealing, (with Ron's parents, Joe and Doris Southworth.)
At the Portland Temple, after Jenni and Will's wedding
Dad loved to fish......my mom actually introduced him to fishing. He loved to go salmon fishing off the coast of Washington and up the inland passage along British Columbia. He also loved to go lake fishing, in British Columbia and Alberta, Canada. He and my mom would take one of their siblings and spouses with them on many an occasion, and they had many choice experiences doing so. As a child, I lost track of how many times we went to Canada......it has to be over 30 times.
At the helm of his boat, the "Liahona"
My first fish at Wallowa Lake, in Eastern Oregon
Water skiing at the Columbia River
Salmon fishing in British Columbia, (sister in law Sue Lindsay, Vern's wife, my mom and dad)
When it was winter, he loved to snowmobile in the Blue Mountains, east of Pendleton. He had a good friend, Oliver Calhoun, who had a cabin where we would go and stay for several days at a time. After Ron and I got married, we were still snowmobiling, and introduced our own children to the recreation. Those are great memories.
This is hard work, having so much fun!
Breaking trail and around the face of Baldy (Blue Mountains)
Even our dog Peppi, got to go snowmobiling with us.

Dad, at the top or Railroad Ridge, near Mt. Baker, Washington
As our children grew older, mom and dad started taking them on backpacking trips into the Wallowa Mountains in Eastern Oregon. Jenni made the comment one time to some of her friends, "that her grandma and grandpa weren't old at all, and they are a lot of fun, because they always do fun stuff with us." I know that they taught my children to appreciate the beauty of the world, and to enjoy being out in the beauty of God's creations.

Grandpa, with Stephen and Shaun, backpacking in the Wallowa Mountains, Oregon
These are only a few memories that I have of dad. He was full of enthusiasm for life, and always working at something. I think that he had a hard time sitting still for a long period of time. He loved to study constantly, because he was always quoting the 130th Section of the Doctrine and Covenants to me: (verses 18 & 19) "Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection. And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come."
He was more than my dad, he was my hero, my example, my friend and my counselor. I am so grateful for the blessing of being born into this family, and for the heritage which I have. We all have pretty big shoes to fill, now that he is no longer with us. To me, they will always be "giant's" shoes. Dad, we love you and miss you very much. Until we meet again......





















3 comments:
He's been my Grandpa for the past 5 years. It was wonderful to get a new Grandpa after mine had passed away a few years earlier. We really do have big shoes to fill.
Wow there are a lot of things about Grandpa's younger years that you wrote which I didn't know about. Grandpa & Grandma really did teach us kids how to appreciate the outdoors; I can hardly think of a single family outdoor trip or activity that didn't involve the two of them. And he was such a great example, friend, and hero to all of us. I will really miss not having him around.
I was sorry to hear of his passing. I lost my dad to a stroke nearly 15 years ago. It sounds like you were given a lot of love and wisdom from yours, which is an amazing blessing. I hope you are doing well.
Post a Comment