Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Law of the Harvest


In Webster's dictionary the word "Harvest" is described as: to gather in a crop, to gather a natural product, to win by achievement. I recently spent a couple of days in Eastern Oregon and Washington, where at the present time they are in the middle of the wheat harvest. All of the beautiful green rolling hills of the Palouse have now turned a soft golden brown, rich with a full crop of wheat, barley and other grains. It's just as beautiful now as it was in the spring.


As I thought about the harvest, it made me reflect on the harvest in my own life; what am I harvesting? To be able to harvest a rich full crop of blessings, we need to have sewn the right kind of seeds, because we reap what we sew.

Have I sewn seeds of kindness?

......seeds of good works?

........seeds of honesty and integrity?

Have I planted my life on principles of hard work, charity, love and obedience to God's laws?

As I looked over the miles and miles of grain fields, and the billions of kernels of wheat that it encompassed, I thought about all those kernels of grain and the good use that they would be everyone. Every wheat kernel is important, because it adds to the whole.

As the combines cut through the fields, they harvest both the good grain and even the weeds that might have sprouted up along side. Eventually the chaff is disgarded and only the good or "worthy" grain remains. I believe our lives are much like this....we sew both good and bad seeds, but at the time of harvest, we need to separate the good wheat from the chaff until our entire "field of life" becomes pure and good. The most important thing we can do is to sew the right seeds to begin with and then cultivate them, weed out the bad ones and encourage the pure seeds to grow.

It was just a good reminder for me, that eventually (and sooner than we usually think) our own life's harvest will be upon us.....and I hope that the seeds I am sewing will be sufficient, and that I won't be found wanting. Now is a good time to start gardening, to pull out the weeds.

2 comments:

Leslie Ann Lindsay said...

Nice pictures and good reflections Carolyn.

Jenni said...

Those are beautiful photos, and I liked your thoughts. It is good to reflect upon our lives like that and figure out if we are "sewing good seeds". Love you.