Monday, January 12, 2009

One Task Complete


I don't think that many people understand how much work goes into getting an album ready to record and be released. Jenni and I have been working on our album now (The Lullaby Album), for several months. We are each contributing 6 songs, either original works, or arrangements of traditional lullabies. The creative process doesn't just happen because you want it to.....you just have to work when the inspiration hits! I have the basic piano tracks to my 6 songs, recorded, but there is still a ton of work to be done.


One of the most time consuming projects that needs to be complete before I record, is to have all of my songs put into music notation. (I use Finale software to do that.) I've tried playing it as I enter the notes, but it never turns out as accurate as I would like, so I end up inputing everything by hand......one little mark at a time. Then I arrange everything the way I want it, and do the fine tuning of all the musical markings. To say the least, when I completed all the notation, it was a huge weight off my shoulders. (I don't want to record with my hand written manuscript, because half the time I can't read my own handwriting!) So that major task is now behind me, as well as laying down the basic piano tracks. Now Jenni and I are writing the string parts to give the songs a little warmth and to fill them out a bit.


I'm also working on designing the CD cover and liner notes, with Jenni's input. (I use Adobe InDesign for that project.)


After we get everything recorded to our satisfaction, then we will take everything to a sound engineer and have him mix and master it. Then we can send it off to have the physical CD's manufactured. Then there is the element of marketing, which is a whole other world. Also, we are both doing an arrangment of someone else's song, so we've needed to obtain mechanical lisencing for that. Then there's the registration with the U.S. Copyright department, and BMI and ASCAP. Even though Jenni and I are dividing the work between us, it still takes an enormous amount of time and energy to complete a project like this. (and this CD is really scaled back compared to my first album!)


All in all, we have enjoyed doing this together, even though our musical styles are quite different. It's been fun and motivating for us both. Today, I spent the day at Jenni's house, fine tuning recordings of two of my songs. Besides, it give me a good excuse to go visit my 7 month old grandson, Preston! He was so much fun today, that I didn't want to work on the music!


So, hopefully when we are finished, we will have created something that is beautiful, uplifting and soothing. There are so many things in the world that are discouraging or just plain mean and ugly, that we feel we can contribute something that will counteract that negative. Music touches the soul, and is a language all of it's own. I'm so grateful to be able to create a little bit of that beauty for others to enjoy.


No comments: