As I am sure that many people feel the same way I do at times, I felt impressed to post a comment that President Hinckley made in an address he gave in April 2002. I have kept coming back to this story many times, to read and re-read it. For what it might be worth, I hope that if anyone reads this blog, that these comments made by President Hinckley will be as encouraging and inspiring to you, as it is to me.
"As each man or woman walks the way of life, there come dark seasons of doubt, of discouragement, of disillusionment. In such circumstances, a few see ahead by the light of faith, but many stumble along in the darkness and even become lost."
"Long ago, I worked for one of our railroads whose tracks threaded the passes through these western mountians. I frequently rode the trains. It was in the days when there were steam locomotives. Those great monsters of the rails were huge and fast and dangerous. I often wondered how the engineer dared the long journey, through the night. Then I came to realize that it was not one long journey, but rather a constant continuation of a short journey. The engine had a powerful headlight that made bright the way for a distance of 400 or 500 yards. The engineer saw only that distance, and that was enough, because it was constantly before him all through the night into the dawn of the new day."
"We are a people of faith. We walk by faith. We move forward on our eternal journey, one step at a time. We reach toward the unknown, but faith lights the way. If we will cultivate that faith, we shall never walk in darkness." (President Gorden B. Hinckely, April Conference 2002)
3 comments:
Thanks for the quote. It didn't sound familiar to me, which is odd cause I listen to my conference CD's all the time. Then I noticed my CD collection starts with October 2002 and your quote is from the April 2002. I think I need to go back and add to my collection.
Thanks for this reminder mom. I remember you sending me this quote last year when I had a bad day. I really love it. I hope that is provides you with hope now too when you have discouraging days. Pres Hinckley was sure a positive beacon of light.
Carolyn, you are really amazing. Thanks so much for reminding me of what Faith is really about. What a blessing in our lives.
Post a Comment