I thought that it might be interesting to see what a day in the life of photographer (or photographer's assistant) was like.
On Monday morning early, Ron and I made a fast trip down to Cannon Beach, Oregon. (if you can call a five hour drive in an uncomfortable car, a fast trip !) He is planning on taking a family's portrait there on the beach, at Cannon Beach and wanted to scout the exact spots where to go before hand. He even figured out where to park the car, and got permission from the land-owner to park there.
He wants to use our mobile studio lighting, (which is still pretty big and bulky for being mobile.) So, the two of us hauled the studio light, tripod, reflectors, camera, cords, lenses and other odds and ends, down to the beach. We found a nice sandy spot with beach grass, and Haystack Rock in the background.
The temperature was 58 degrees. For an afternoon in February, that really isn't too bad.....unless you're the guinea pig (oops...the proper term is model) for the shots. After sitting there for over an hour on the cold sand, I had turned into an ice cube. Can you see my lips turning blue?
Ron had to run the camera, lighting and reflectors all by himself which is no easy task. I'm usually the assistant to help him, but not today. So the above picture, didn't quite have the reflector lighting in the right spot, because he was trying to do everything by himself. Oh well.....the location turned out really good....even if the subject was cold, and had straight hair by then.
On the way home, we decided to do a little exploring.....we turned into Fort Stevens, at the south of the mouth of the Columbia River. There is a State Park there, and lots to explore. We found a beach with a shipwreck on it, and had fun photographing it. In the following photo, you can see a large portion of the ship that is buried in the sand....almost like it's spine sticking out.
The bow of the ship.
Then Ron decided that he had to photograph the incoming waves......he waited until the wave got really close, and then snapped the shutter, grabbed the camera and ran!
This was the result of that wet and sandy effort.
Then he turned his attention to the rust and the barnacles on the old ship that was wrecked.
We couldn't have asked for a nicer day....sunshine and no wind, to speak of.
This photo of Ron was taken at Indian Beach, at Ecola State Park, just outside of Cannon Beach. (He had to make a mad dash away from the incoming tide for that photo as well!)
This photo of Ron was taken at Indian Beach, at Ecola State Park, just outside of Cannon Beach. (He had to make a mad dash away from the incoming tide for that photo as well!)
The photo of me, was taken at the lookout point at the mouth of Columbia River on the South Jetty. The bar at the mouth of the Columbia is some of the roughest water I have ever been on.
We had a great time, and it was nice to get away, even if it was just for a short time. We didn't come home with any photos that were "keepers" but we had fun anyway.
3 comments:
Talk about dedication! A day trip all the way to Cannon Beach just to scout things out! Looks like fun though. We're really jealous. We really enjoyed the Oregon Coast when we went there with you guys last summer. That shipwreck is really cool. How long has that been there?
I want to know what your definition of a "keeper" is then becuase I always think all of your photos turn out really great. That looked really nice and relaxing in the pictures, but when you said how cold it was I had second thoughts. Haha. I'm glad that you guys got to get away and have a nice time. I'm sure the family portraits for Dad's clients will turn out super nice.
Looks like you found some great places for pictures and I'm with Jenni. I think you have lots of "keepers", especially each other. :-)
Post a Comment