Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Being Grandma and Grandpa


Jenni and Will went to Whistler for their Anniversary, so we got to babysit Preston for three days this past weekend. He was so much fun to have around! (but packing a 22 pound baby up and down the stairs a zillion times a day, got to be a bit much for this "old" grandma......it's a good thing that they make parents YOUNG!)
Preston got to go wherever grandpa and I went......for instance, we attended a funeral for a dear friend, so Preston went along with us. Ron had to speak, and I had to play both the organ and the violin, so I lined up a young gal, (Ashley Huff) to watch Preston while I played. Note: Preston does not like the violin....hmmm...that is really an understatement. So Ashley had to distract Preston while I was playing so he wouldn't start howling! So much for the morning nap!
In the afternoon I needed to go grocery shopping, so Preston went along. Grandpa decided that he would come along as well. Both Preston and grandpa slept in the car the entire time! So much for shopping buddies.....
Preston absolutely refused to drink baby formula....zip, nope, none, not! So we resorted to juice, and then he was in seventh heaven, after he figured out that grandma was not going to force him to drink that yucky formula. Other than the formula, there wasn't anythin that he wouldn't eat......salmon, peas, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, yogurt (yumm yumm!) and even baby cereal mixed with fruit (otherwise, it was a "no way!")
Preston is not quite crawling yet, but can roll all over the floor to get where he wants to go. While I was cleaning the kitchen, I turned on the DVD player and let him watch Michael Flattley's Feet of Flames. I couldn't help but laugh, because he loves this DVD! He was totally enthralled!


Totally rapt attention!


Saturday night was our Adult Session of the Marysville Stake Conference, so Preston went with us. Ron had to be there at 2:30, so Preston and I drove him to the Stake Center and dropped him off and then drove home again. (Preston finally got a nap, albeit only an hour.) We came back around 6:30 to attend the evening session. Preston was a big hit, with all the ladies. who "ooohed" and "ahhhed" over him. It was a 2 hour meeting, and Preston was so good.....didn't make a peep, but just played and smiled at everyone. The most common comment was " Oh, he has the same color hair as grandma!"

Jenni had prepared me to be up half the night with Preston, because he is not a good sleeper. Well, surprise, surprise! After conference, I rocked him to sleep and he slept for 8 and 1/2 hours! I think that grandpa and I just wore him plum out!


Sunday morning we got up early, and went to the Sunday morning session. We took two cars, because I didn't think that Preston would last for both sessions. He had two "cat naps" of 30 minutes each, and was really good again during Conference. We had lunch with the entire Stake Presidency between sessions, and Preston wanted to eat everything that was in sight!
When Preston and I got home that afternoon, I really wanted to find out how much he disliked the violin. So I put him in his little bouncy chair....he was happy and giggling and jumping up and down. I got out my violin and started to play something very slow and pretty...nothing wild. He got got this frowny look on his face, but I kept playing. Within just a few seconds it turned into a (how can I say it?) an "instant meltdown!" He REALLY doesn't like the violin!
We had so much fun having him here. (didn't get much else done, but who cares?) I rocked him to sleep around 8:00 that night, and he slept almost 9 hours straight. Jenni was disappointed that he was asleep when they got home that night, but hey, what can I say? Grandma's have the magic tough.

3 comments:

Jenni said...

You DO have the magic touch, because last night Preston woke up twice again. Same old, same old. Maybe we will have to send him to G&G's house for sleep training more often. :) Thanks for watching him. He loved it!

Stephen and Ileana said...

So much fun! I wish we were close so that you could spend time with Mackenzie and babysit, I'm sure she would have so much fun with you. Hopefully soon you can come and visit us. That's funny about the violin Mom, you'd think it would soothe him and he would like it.

Will Thomas said...

Thanks for watching Preston. He sure loves his Grandparents.