A storm was just departing, and we have discovered that is the best time for photo opportunities. We'd been watching the weather reports for weeks and had been getting very discouraged, but then this perfect day showed up, and we took advantage of it. Mt. Baker has been "calling" us for a long time....so off we went! Perfect sky and only 2 degrees! We donned ski clothes and strapped on our snowshoes and started trekking up the snow covered road to Artist Point at Mt. Baker Ski Resort. Ron took the panorma below shortly after sunrise.

The clouds were clearing off from the mountains, but while they were still hanging around, they looked like soft cotton draped over the range. At this time of the morning, there were only a few cross country skiers on the trail with a couple of other people on snowshoes.....but nobody had a camera except us......what were they thinking?
The photo below is of Table Top.....the trees at the top were completely covered and frozen stiff. Mt. Baker is right behind this peak, so it can't be seen from here on the trail. The ski patrol keeps the road to Artist Point groomed with a tractor, so it was fairly easy going.....until we got to a shortcut they made......it went practically straight up.....at least it felt that way. We had to remember that they used this part of the road as one of their ski runs, so they didn't need to follow the switchbacks that the cars do in the summer. Skiers just go straight downhill!
Below: Ron walking on the trail towards Artist point.
Below: Ron all bundled up to stay warm......Table Top in the background.
As the sun came out, so did the skiers. It wasn't long before the slopes were crawling with people. There was one point where the trail we were hiking intersected with one of the runs......we felt like were were going to be run over by snowboarders! Ron yelled "Track!" once, just so they would be aware that someone else was around!
Below: this was the place where the trail crossed the ski slope. The trees were totally covered in snow and frozen stiff. It was picture perfect.
About halfway to Artist Point, Ron and I left the regular trail (just to get out of the skiers way!) and ventured off into some pristine powder. The is the backside of Mt. Shuksan, with Mt. Baker just off to the right, (or west of us.)
Below: Ron standing in front of the sign that points to Austin Pass and Blueberry Cat Track....this is where we departed from the regualar trail. We thought that we would be all by ourselves.....but it didn't take long for three other guys who were skiing, see us and decided to follow us. They were looking for a place to dig a cave and stay for the night. I think they were crazy to want to camp in 2 degree temps! By this time, we were getting a bit tired. Our water bottles were frozen solid, so we couldn't even take a drink of water.......hmmmmm.....we'll have to work on that before we go again.
Ron with his photo gear set up for taking panoramic pictures.
Everywhere you turned, it was just breathtakingly beautiful!
Ron framing up a shot.
Ron hiked up to the top of a ridge, and was able to get this panorama of Table Top, with the road in the foreground, and the tip of Mt. Baker just to the left of the trees.
Looking east at one of the ski runs.......you can see the tip of Mt. Shuksan in the distance. We kept pretty warm....except you have to take your gloves off to use the camera....so our fingertips were constantly getting cold.

This is my favorite shot that I took.......you can see some skiers on the hill and then the top of Mt. Shuksan in the background. I loved the snow covered trees.

This is the same hill, as the above photo....just from the parking lot.....which by this time was totally full. There had to be several hundred cars there. When I say that everyone and their dog was there....I mean that literally.......it seemed like EVERYONE had a dog!
Me, with my snowshoes and camera.
We hiked out around 2:00 PM.....and wound our way out of the maze of cars in the parking lot. It was a gorgeous day, to say the least. But both Ron and I had some very sore muscles.
Then today, Friday, December 31, we decided to drive up to Lake Diablo on Highway 20. They close off the road during the winter here, but you can drive as far as the lookout over the lake. As we got out of the truck we noticed fresh bear tracks in the snow.....it looked like he was checking out the dumpsters at the lookout. (I was constantly checking for the bear!)
Now we're checking the weather report for the next perfect day after a storm! It was a nice trip for New Year's Eve. Have a wonderful New Year!

























5 comments:
Quite a white winter wonderland! Glad that you two had the opportunity to pay it a visit and share all of your photos with us. Compared to you, it was warm for us when we went snowshoeing with the kids today. I think it was a balmy 17 degrees here. Someday the grandkids need to do some snowshoeing with their grandparents and see the scenery. Happy new year!
Seeing all those beautiful snowy mountain scenes reminds me of my childhood and of all our skiing/sledding trips, it really makes me want to go up in the mountains and go skiing again. Those shots sure are beautiful, Washington definitely has some beautiful landscape that most people take for granted, but I know that you guys definitely appreciate its beauty! Wow that really made me want to go skiing LOL! And that sure sounds cold (2 degrees)! We got down to the 20's last week, but it's a nice 80 degrees today!
I love your pictures!! I am not sure I would enjoy the hike in the cold that much but the scenery and the photos are wonderful. I have noticed that it is tough getting the exposure correct when shooting a snowy background. These all turned out very nice.
That looks like my type of paradise! Jenni's would be about 80 degrees warmer and exchanging the snow for sand. I have skis so that I can ski uphill (snowshoe alongside you guys), then ski down. Looks like we'll need to go try them out.
Wow where do I start? I kept thinking comments while reading this and hoping that I would remember them when it came time to comment.
Okay first of all, you are right! Dad likes to get up super early for adventures. I think it was about a year and a half ago he took me canoeing on Camano to go and see the eagles. We left the house at 4:30 a.m.!!
I also had the thought that you seemed to have enjoyed yourself on this adventure! Haha! I think maybe all your years of snowmobiling made you a snow bunny :) It's fun to read about your excitement for the beauty and something you love!
The frozen water in the bottles...usually you put your water bottles in the freezer before a roadtrip so that as you drive, it melts and you have ice cold water. Maybe you need to do the opposite? Put hot water in your water bottles as it slowly freezes? Haha.
I still don't understand panoramics. I look at that last photo and don't see what you mean about the sun. To me it just looks magical and makes me wonder are there really places on this earth that are that gorgeous? All the greens and blues. Maybe I can use that one for the album or a similar one....which ever is his best shot for the season :)
Great post! I wanna come sometime! But no bears please!
Post a Comment