Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Wintertime Deepfreeze


Yesterday, Ron and I drove up to the Mount Baker National Forest. It was a winter wonderland. Picture Lake was frozen over, and Mt. Shuksan was draped in a fresh coat of snow. It was picture perfect.....except it was only 9 degrees! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
I miss Eastern Oregon during this time of year....and snowmobiling in the Blue Mountains, then stopping at the Chalet for a cup of hot chocolate. I loved going up in the mountains to fell a tree, and then split it, load it into the truck and haul it home. There's nothing like the warmth of a wood fire.
This time of year everyone gets so busy, that we forget to stop and enjoy the beauty of nature, and the season. Taking a drive to the mountains like this, helps me keep perspective and realize that the world is still a beautiful place to live, despite all the craziness that goes on around us. We have much to be thankful for.
I'm preparing for our church's annual Christmas Concert, of which I am in charge. The concert is this coming Sunday evening. We are expecting 6 inches of snow or more, so I hope that I have people show up to the rehearsal this Thursday. We usually have around 750 plus people attend, so it is a pretty big deal. I have over 50 people in the choir this year, and numerous instrumentalists as well. I think that we are doing some great music, and I think that it will be very uplifting as well as entertaining. A perfect prelude to Christmas. And a great reminder of what Christmas is all about; the birth of Jesus Christ.
I hope that you all have a wonderful Christmas this year. Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

Jenni said...

Ahhh wish we could be there for the concert. That pic is sooooooooo beautiful.

Stephen and Ileana said...

Yay, Mom finally has a blog! Hope you are able to update it more often that we are, but we'll definitely link yours on ours now. That is a great picture, you definitely don't get scenerey like that in Florida!

Leslie Ann Lindsay said...

Very nice Carolyn. So, now you have a blog, what's next?? Just kidding. Your performance Sunday night will be great. Hugs, Leslie.