Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Seattle in the Afternoon


What can you do in Seattle when the weather is not real sunny, but a mix of sun, clouds and light showers? Head downtown Seattle and visit the Ballard Locks. We used to take our kids to the Locks quite often.....not just as spectators, but as participants in a boat going through the Locks. It sure brought back some fun memories that we had as a family.....plus the smell of the salt air, the sound of the seagulls, and seeing all the boats.....and it doesn't cost anything.



There were several boats that went throught Locks while we were there.....below is a kayak that went through, and an Argosy sightseeing tour boat on it's way into the Lock area.



One of our family traditions was to always stop at Larsen's Danish Bakery in the Ballard area, and get some danish pastry. This stuff is the REAL thing......not the fake danish pastry that they have in a grocery store bakery. Ron served his mission in Denmark so he knows the real thing when he sees it. The owner of the store is Danish, and they even call the pastries by their Danish names.......but please don't ask me to spell it! The one below, is our favorite! Yum!



After we left the Ballard Locks, we drove up to Queen Anne Hill just for the view. This is where Ron took the sunrise photo last week. The view is spectacular......and the people who live in the apartments right across the street get to see it everyday.




We then drove up to Alderwood Mall and spent some time in REI.....always a fun place to visit. We ended our afternoon by having a Salmon Nicoise Salad at the little cafe in Nordstrom......one of our favorite places to eat.





Hey Michael and Stephen.......has this post made you just enough home-sick to come and visit us?

4 comments:

Jenni said...

I live here and you made me homesick~! Sounds like a really super fun afternoon!!!! Now can you watch the boys so Will and I can have a date too? LOL I feel bad for asking cuz you watch them a lot. But hey tomorrow I hired a babysitter! :)

Mike Southworth said...

Mom, it does bring back memories. I would really like to sample some of that Danish pastry right now. You made me hungry!

Stephen and Ileana said...

I was just telling Stephen the other day how I'd love for us all to visit! If only we had the vacation time, money and I wasn't afraid to fly we'd be right there! The thing I love most about Washington is how relaxing it looks and feels! It's definitely a gorgeous place to live :)

Stephen and Ileana said...

I was already homesick, now you just made it worse LOL. I really do miss it up there and all those memories sure were a lot of fun. Just last Sunday in Priesthood our lesson was on Family Responsibilities, and the question was asked of what kinds of activities we can be involved in as families that help us to bond. I answered that a lot of our family activities when I was young were outdoor activities, and we sure did lots of them: boating, camping, fishing, kayaking, ferry boats, hiking, bike riding, going to the beach, picnics, just to name a few. It's definitely beautiful country for those types of things and I have fond memories of our family activities as a child.

Stephen